Elegant Appetizer: Asparagus Tart with Prosciutto and Parmesan

by Maris Callahan on May 26, 2010

Asparagus Tart with Prosciutto and Parmesan

Angie and I were sitting around my kitchen table on a Sunday night, chatting, sipping wine and recapping our weekends. Her infamous puppy, a mini-dachshund affectionately known as Princess Lulu was snuggled in my lap, likely positioned as such because she knows from experience that I drop food.

In any event, we were enjoying the tart you’re looking at above – a perfect compilation of tender asparagus, flaky puff pastry and salty prosciutto – when Lulu must have thought we were just distracted enough and decided to strike.

That’s right. Before I could say “Lulu, no,” the eleven-pound gourmand had Hoover-style inhaled a piece of tart straight from my plate.

“Can she eat asparagus?” I asked.

Her mama shrugged. “She eats everything.”

Photo 11

Next time I babysit Miss Lulu, I’m going to make sure to stock up on plenty of truffle oil to garnish her dog food and instead of peanut butter to stuff in her Kong ball to distract her for oh, twenty minutes, I’ll invest in some roasted macadamia nut butter.

Until then, she’s stuck with puff pastry.

asparagus tart with prosciutto

Puppies aside, this is an excellent appetizer for a spring or summer dinner and delicious with a glass of wine. You could also serve this in the morning for breakfast, cut into squares and topped with a poached egg.

Asparagus Tart with Prosciutto & Parmesan

What you need:

1 sheet puff pastry (I use Pepperidge Farm)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 ounces prosciutto
16 asparagus spears (about a pound; you can use more or less if desired), rinsed and thick stems removed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper

What you do:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (if using a different brand of puff pastry, preheat according to directions on box). Thaw the puff pastry according to package directions.

2. Once thawed, place puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper or silipat and roll out to approximately 10 inches (you’ll want it to fit on a standard sized cookie sheet).

3. Slice prosciutto into thin strips and arrange on pastry. Line the asparagus on top of the prosciutto. Scatter the Parmesan cheese on top of the asparagus and drizzle with the olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. 4. Bake for 20 minutes until the pastry dough has puffed and brown and asparagus is roasted and cooked through.

my little expat kitchen May 26, 2010 at 5:24 am

What a great-looking tart. I love the ingredients. Thanks for dropping by my blog, giving me the chance to discover yours!
Magda

Joanne May 26, 2010 at 7:31 am

This post made me laugh so much. My dog is a bottomless pit and will eat just about anything that falls on the floor. It’s crazy.
I was hooked as soon as I saw the phrase flaky puff pastry. I’ve been craving prosciutto lately and this might just be the key to quell it.

Beth @ 990 Square May 26, 2010 at 8:29 am

I’ve known quite a few dogs that love a good baked good. This is one of the cuter ones I’ve seen though…I love that “wasn’t me” look!

Daryl May 26, 2010 at 8:50 am

OMG that is so cute. She is adorable and oh yes that tart looks delicious.

M @ Betty Crapper May 26, 2010 at 9:20 am

The look on Lulu’s face says she’s innocent. Love it.

kat May 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

What a cute dog & a yummy tart too, I don’t blame her for grabbing a piece

Megan May 26, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Princess Lulu is adorable! And that puff pastry tart looks delicious. I made something similar but without the prosciutto. I think prosciutto is a great addition!

Nichole May 27, 2010 at 11:31 am

Are you kidding me? How cute is that pup?!
OK I’ve tried rolling asparagus with sun-dried tomatoes in bread, this seems way easier.

DessertForTwo May 27, 2010 at 11:59 am

What a perfect starter for a Memorial Day bbq! Thanks!

ErinsFoodFiles May 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

This looks like a great party dish!

heather @ chiknpastry May 27, 2010 at 2:30 pm

good story! my cat is sorta the same way. she loves tortilla chips and coffee…
great idea about the breakfast and egg combo!

mandy May 27, 2010 at 2:32 pm

That pup is adorable. And the tart looks delicious. I sort of love that its quick and easy, something I can make and then enjoy with friends while deck drinking.

Kelly May 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I love a good savory tart and yours look beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for offering to answer my questions about the Examiner. Hopefully, I’ll be chosen to do a few articles.
My dachshund will eat anything too. I usually let him lick my plate if he doesn’t beg during dinner. Princess Lulu is precious! Anybody with a dachshund friend are good people. :)

WHATUPDUCK May 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Oh she’s cute, and the tart too ;-)

runnerforever May 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I haven’t seen anything like this before, very cool dish!

Kate (Little Beach Bum) May 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm

This looks so good! I don’t think I would have ever thought to pair asparagus with prosciutto. Yum!

Lindsay May 28, 2010 at 6:31 am

Waht a cutie pie! So funny she snapped up a piece of your tart!

Sarah Caron May 28, 2010 at 10:40 am

My mouth is watering. I adore everything in that tart …

Vanessa May 30, 2010 at 4:16 am

Thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog. It’s great discovering yours and this recipe in particular has got my mouth watering. I have a real passion for salty tarts and asparagus so can’t wait to try this.

E.P. May 31, 2010 at 8:38 am

You know, I don’t even like asparagus, but that tart looks AMAZING.
And Lulu? Sounds like my little puppy. She tries to do the same thing ALL THE TIME, and when I was baking tea cake cookies a while back, when I dropped a few on the floor, she had immediately inhaled them. Dogs… they’re funny creatures.

Brian June 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Princess Lulu is a mini-Dachsund…. that is redundant, no?
I have had the pleasure of meeting Lulu (who was with Angie, of course). A very determined look on Lulu’s face as if to say, “A tart that is reachable is eatable.”

Michy June 4, 2010 at 11:31 am

So, my husband made me eat asparagus for the first time a couple days ago. We boiled it – the power was out, so I couldn’t steam it in the rice-maker as planned, and I didn’t have a big pot to steam with – and it…tasted like boiled grass. I didn’t like it at all. The next day, we tried steaming it, which he said would make it much better. That time, we both threw our portions away. What did we do wrong? Do you think this dish would give me a new opinion of asparagus?