Six Ways to Use In-Season Strawberries

by Maris Callahan on April 28, 2011

Guest Post by Esther Reisinger

Whenever I catch the start of an Iron Chef episode (which usually happens around midnight, when I should be going to bed), there are certain secret ingredients that I hope to see, ones that will make me stay up for another hour to watch the results. Then there are the ingredients that will almost definitely make me turn off the TV and go to bed, not out of anger or frustration (well maybe just a little), but because I don’t find it beneficial for me to stay up to watch someone prepare mackerel five ways. I mean, how many ways are there to make fish, really? Goodnight mackerel. Goodnight moon.

The ingredients that I hope to see when the magical metal lid is lifted in that cloud of dry ice are more along the lines of, well…fruit. Citrus. Berries. You get the idea. Foods that so kindly lend themselves to savory and sweet as well. An Iron Chef episode with no sweet dishes is a sad time for me.

One secret ingredient that would float my culinary boat would be the strawberry. I have yet to catch a Battle Strawberry on Iron Chef, but rest assured that it would be one for which I would deem appropriate to lose a little sleep. Beautiful, vibrant, delicious and sensual, strawberries are not to be taken lightly. And they’re so versatile.

So with warmer weather just around the bend and berries on the brain, I have compiled this (probably less gourmet) Iron Chef menu with five different ways* for you to sink your teeth into a strawberry.

Orange Glazed Strawberry Scones
Recipe and Photo Credit: Le Petit Brioche

Warm Strawberry Bacon Orzo Salad
Recipe and Photo Credit: How Sweet It Is

Strawberry Cheesecake Mousse
Recipe and Photo Credit: The Alchemist

Berry Smash Muffins
From In Good Taste

Salmon with Strawberry Salsa
Recipe & Photo: Our Life in Food, originally from Good Things Catered

Strawberry Mojitos
Recipe and Photo Credit: My Adventures in Food

Esther Reisinger is a 20-something dining her way through Chicago and beyond. Her number one passion is exploring her city’s offerings as well as researching and discovering new food to create and experience in her own kitchen. Esther’s love for food is accompanied by a strong desire to travel the world and experience other cultures and cuisines. As a new home cook and budding foodie, she is excited to learn and share her discoveries with others on her own blog The Swell Quenelle.

Daryl April 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I am now totally cravng the salmon, the scones, and the cheesecake mousse. Oye vey! Everything looks delicious and I am so excited for strawberry season to start.

Daryl April 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Oh and i LOVE the plate the scones are on!

Kate April 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm

What a great idea! I have seen awesome looking strawberries at the grocery store so this gives me a reason to buy some. Those strawberry mojitos are calling my name :-)

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 April 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I love how versatile strawberries are, too. It’s amazing what you can do with them. Thanks for sharing some great inspiration.

5 Star foodie April 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm

These are awesome ways to use strawberries! Especially loving that strawberry salsa over salmon.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen April 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Can’t get enough of fresh strawberries! That mousse looks heavenly!

Three-Cookies April 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm

The mojito looks and sounds fantastic, its nice and sunny outside, wish I had one in my hands now.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective April 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Great ideas. The mousse looks fantastic!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College April 28, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I cannot wait for strawberries to come into season around here. These recipes are gorgeous and they sound delicious!

Blond Duck April 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm

It looks fabulous!

NancyC April 28, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I definitely want to try those Orange-Glazed Strawberry Scones!

Mary April 28, 2011 at 6:20 pm

All the dishes you’ve posted today sound delicious. I’ll have to make a couple of them when I get some time. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

alyssa - fashion fitness foodie April 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Best. Post. Ever. Just bought 3lbs of strawberries on sale yesterday for 99 cents!

Marci April 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm

fresh strawberries are the best! i have a recipe for strawberry loaf and strawberry muffins. delish.

bellini April 28, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Although everything looks delicious, what really caught my eye were the strawberry mojitos. It seems to me to be the perfect way to herald in the season.

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 28, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Now to choose a recipe to use up all my strawberries – these all look tasty!

yummychunklet April 28, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I’ll take that strawberry mojito, please!

The Teenage Taste April 28, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Strawberries are one of my favorite types of berries. I’m loving the looks of that salmon…mmmmmm!

Blomma April 28, 2011 at 9:36 pm

The strawberry mousse look so delicious and the muffins, wonderful, merci pour le partage!

Simply Life April 29, 2011 at 12:54 am

oh I ‘d love a tasting of all of those! :)

Kate@Diethood.com April 29, 2011 at 1:38 am

Strawberries are my favorite berry… there’s so much that you can do with them, as presented above in all those yummylicious recipes.
I will tackle the scones, while hubz makes the mojitos – he thinks he’s a mixologist… :)

Bee April 29, 2011 at 2:06 am

I can’t wait for strawberry season to crop up here! Overpaying to pick my own flat of them is totally worth having a huge strawberry supply to play with :)

Tara April 29, 2011 at 2:34 am

Strawberry Cheesecake mousse sounds so good, as do the scones! I love strawberry season. I really like them in a salad with pecans, parmesan cheese, and balsamic vinegrette!

Maria @ Scandifoodie April 29, 2011 at 3:40 am

Oh adorably strawberries! I love them in salads and on their own, they go really well with haloumi cheese as well!

Jessica April 29, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Oh I am loving the idea of the berry smash muffins. No lie my 2 yr old is obsessed with muffins so I see myself making this probably later today! Love all your ideas for using strawberries. The more we cook with real fresh ingredients the less work we actually have to do!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook April 29, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Gorgeous berries! Everything looks so good, who could choose?

Rosa April 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Great ideas! Everything looks scrummy.

Cheers,

Rosa

Susan April 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm

All of those recipes look wonderful! There is nothing like a sweet, fresh strawberry. It will be another month or so before berry picking time here.

Lora @cakeduchess April 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I love fresh strawberries and all of these recipes are fabulous! I’m particularly drawn to the orange glazed strawberry scones;)Have a wonderful weekend :)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking April 29, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Mmm, there’s nothing better than the first bunch of strawberries in spring, and you’ve got me craving them like crazy now! Great assortment of dishes and ideas in the post, Maris. Thanks for sharing, and have a great weekend.

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique April 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Yum! Everything looks awesome. Have great weekend. :)

Tessa April 29, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Love this post! I just had to toss a half-full container of moldy strawberries because I didn’t get to use them in time. Thanks for the round-up :)

Anne April 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I get strawberries once a week in my CSA box! My husband doesn’t LOVE strawberries but I don’t think he’d say no to those mojitos…delicious looking!

Sukaina April 29, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Fantastic round up Maris. My 2 year old is a strawberry addict so these are soem great ideas for me to try for her.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) April 30, 2011 at 3:57 am

I don’t normally like “fruit with my food” but those pictures have me thinking twice! :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 30, 2011 at 7:15 am

I love eating seasonally and putting together recipes like this is a very thoughtful way of encouraging everyone to Maris! :D

Candace April 30, 2011 at 11:20 am

I’m with you. I would love to catch the Iron Chef showdowns using citrus or strawberries. The recipes that you have featured look soooo good. That Warm Strawberry Bacon Orzo Salad is a must make and the strawberry mojitos? Perfectly refreshing after an afternoon of strawberry picking. I am so looking forward to strawberry season in NH and you’ve increased my anticipation with your post! Thanks so much for stopping by to see me and commenting. I hope you have a fantastic weekend. Candace

Euniece@innerpeacehealthytreats&runningfeet April 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

YUMM THE salmon and strawberry salsa looks so fresh! i definately have to try that one out!

Laura April 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Can’t wait to make some strawberry salsa! And strawberries with orzo sounds pretty good too! Thanks for sharing all these recipes – I just got a whole bunch of strawberries and was in great need of recipes like these!

Roz April 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Thanks so much for these Esther (and Maris!). Bacon/orzo/strawberries??? I think I love you!! :) That is a must try. Have a good weekend.

Dewi April 30, 2011 at 4:20 pm

How delightful! Love those orange glaze scones.

Heavenly Housewife April 30, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Wonderful recipes. I’m trying to grow some strawberries this year. I hope I have an abundance of pretty berries to try out all these lovely dishes.
*kisses* HH

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) April 30, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I love strawberries!!! These ways to use them look perfect! :D

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets April 30, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I love the variety of sweet and savory dishes here. Great round-up. For several years I’ve always made at least one strawberries & cream dessert every spring/summer. My friend is still talking about my strawberries & cream cupcakes from last year :)

Reeni May 1, 2011 at 1:01 am

I would love to see strawberries and more fruits and vegetables in general on Iron Chef! I groan a little when I see fish or meat and sometimes turn it off. These are all delicious – the orzo salad really jumped out at me!

Angela May 1, 2011 at 2:49 am

I would totally choose you as the Iron Chef in battle strawberry!

theUngourmet May 1, 2011 at 5:17 am

I would definitely stay up late for Battle Strawberry! I can’t wait for local berries here in Oregon!

-Kim

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) May 1, 2011 at 11:50 am

Those scones look fantastic. Thanks for these suggestions. As soon as berries are in season, I go picking with the kids. We pick TENS of pounds each time we go (and pay a FRACTION of the price compared to farmer’s market prices) and they don’t usually last more than a day or two. Mostly we eat them plain. but I try to make a couple of pies too. This will be a great addition. Thanks!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Those orange glazed strawberry scones are getting me excited, they look devine!

Lisa May 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I think I’m digging the strawberry mojitos. Beautiful photo of strawberries at the top, well..the rest are mouth watering too. Great post!

chopinandmysaucepan May 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm

The mojitos would be my fav :) Brilliant looking drink.

Amanda May 2, 2011 at 12:41 am

I absolutely love strawberries! Fantastic pictures. I can’t wait to try the orange glazed strawberry scones.

Baking Serendipity May 2, 2011 at 3:58 am

Strawberry cheesecake mousse sounds best to me, but I love all these recipes! Awesome post :)

Angie@Angiesrecipes May 2, 2011 at 5:18 am

wow Some really awesome ideas and each recipe is a treasure!

Emily May 2, 2011 at 5:54 am

I want them all!

Vanessa May 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm

That strawberry cheesecake mousse looks amazing. Off to check it out :D