Strawberry Mojitos

by Maris Callahan on April 4, 2011

I dabbled in making mojitos in college and it didn’t work out so well. You see, my friends and I decided that to cut calories, we would substitute sugar for Splenda. If you’re thinking that doesn’t seem like the wisest decision for a group of girls headed toward college degrees, then you would be 100% correct. We drank the sucrose-laden muddled mint cocktails but I will tell you that we 100% regretted it the next day.

Luckily, since our Splenda concoction tastes absolutely nothing like actual mojitos, I wasn’t soured for life and will still drink the occasional minty rum cocktail. Okay, maybe more than occasionally in the summertime but that’s beside the point.

The point is that these strawberry mojitos are a warm weather staple that you need to make immediately, if not sooner.

Strawberry Mojitos
Recipe & Photo: My Adventures in Food

What You Need:

4-5 fresh strawberries, depending on size
Small handful of fresh mint leaves
3 oz simple syrup (even amounts of sugar and water, heated until the sugar melts, and cooled to room temperature)
2 oz rum
1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
Club soda
Lime slices

How-To:

Place strawberries, mint, and some ice (crushed ice works best) in a tall glass. Muddle the ingredients together with the back of a spoon (or a muddler if you have one.) Add simple syrup, rum, and lime juice. Pour in enough club soda to fill the glass. Give the mixture a stir, and garnish with fresh strawberries and lime slices.

Erica May 1, 2011 at 12:56 am

Sounds yummy! Ive actually never had a mojito- maybe once the baby is born. Enjoy the rest of the weekend

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl May 1, 2011 at 1:18 am

Oh, goodness! I need to find some sunshine and a pool and enjoy way too many of those! :)

yummychunklet May 1, 2011 at 4:05 am

Strawberry mojitos are probably the only way I’ll drink a mojito. Great post!

A Plum By Any Other Name May 1, 2011 at 11:57 am

Ugh. I’m sad to say I used to drink diet coke and vodka. (SO glad those days are behind me.) Love that you are finding lots of ways to honor the strawberry, especially when they involve rum (without a sugar-substitute in sight.) Cheers!

Daryl May 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Now we’re talking! This looks so refreshing and good!

Sophia @ Raven Waves May 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Sounds so refreshing!! I haven’t had a mojito in so long!

Ashley May 1, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Oh, they look awesome!

Bee May 2, 2011 at 1:37 am

I make mint mojitos allll the time, but I LOVE strawberries so I will have to make these next :)

Aggie May 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Its funny what we have done to cut calories in recipes…sometimes! I’ve messed up quite a few, lol.

What I would give to have one of these this afternoon! The sun is blazing and these look so good! Mojitos are one of my favorite bevvies!

Greg May 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

My wife would love these. I think I would too, but I really love the classic. Oh what the heck, I’ll just have to have both.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. June 22, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Love these!

Lisa March 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm

For those of you who are inclined to do so, mint is easy to grow, but can be invasive if you plant it in a garden bed. It’s a perennial plant and will come back each year without any effort on your part. I would suggest getting a packet of seeds and planting them in a large pot on your patio. You may have to thin the seedlings once they sprout, but you’ll have more than enough mint to make plenty of mojitos. Enjoy!