Baked Goods, Wine & Good Causes: 3rd Annual Blogger Bake Sale Saturday April 28 at Poison Cup

by Maris Callahan on April 23, 2012

Remember when I used to write here like, 5 times a week?

Okay, stop laughing please.

Since I last posted here – was it August 2007? that’s what it feels like – I’ve moved, taken two trips, started a number of new projects for work and launched a new website. I have cooked approximately three times in the past month (not counting gourmet specialties like sandwiches and eggs, of course). I’d like to write about all of those things but today we’re here to talk bake sale.

On Saturday, April 28 the National Food Blogger Bake Sale will take place across the country. In Chicago, our sale will run from 10a – 3p at The Poison Cup (1128 W. Armitage, between Clifton and Seminary).

baked_goods_table1

Chicago’s Third Annual Food Blogger Bake Sale is part of a national effort that encourages bloggers across the country to hold bake sales in their communities to raise funds for Share Our Strength as part of the Great American Bake Sale. All proceeds will be donated to help eliminate childhood hunger.

Why is this so important that we raise awareness for this cause and get involved? Here are the numbers:

• More than 17 million kids in America are at risk of hunger. That’s nearly 1 in 4.
  • 15.5 million kids in America live in poverty.
  • 20.1 million children benefit from SNAP (food stamps).
  • 19 million kids get a free or reduced-price school lunch on an average school day.
  • Only 9.4 million kids get a free or reduced-price school breakfast on an average school day.
  • Just 1 in 6 eligible kids get free summer meals.

Funds raised through the Food Blogger Bake Sale support Share Our Strength’s efforts to end childhood hunger in America. Despite the good efforts of governments, private-sector institutions and everyday Americans, millions of our children still don’t have daily access to the nutritious meals they need to live active, healthy lives. Let’s change that!

While sales are taking place throughout the country, I’m proud to be hosting Chicago’s sale for the third consecutive year, with John and Erica Witte of The Poison Cup, a wine and art boutique. Chicago’s sale will include homemade baked goods, treats donated from local businesses and bakeries, wine tastings and wine pairing tips for your favorite sweets.

Treats will be priced from $3 and will include vegan and gluten-free offerings, as well as a variety of sweets and savory offerings including scones, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, cake pops and much more. Cash only.

For more information about how to get involved please email me! Or leave a comment here and I’ll get back to ‘ya!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) April 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Maris! I saw you tried to Facebook friend me. I can’t find you when I search, and my blog page apparently doesn’t show my real name to friend me, but in case I’m not searchable you can find me at /ashleyblom.

Kitchen Belleicious April 23, 2012 at 1:59 pm

oh i think this is such a wonderful idea and cause! I must get involved in something like this next year? How did you get involved?

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} April 24, 2012 at 8:13 am

Such a great cause and that is why I am participating in the event this year for the first time. I’m excited and nervous and hope that it will be a success!

JulieD April 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

Hey! Hope things are well and good luck with your bake sale! I’m organizing my second one this weekend and always have so much fun!

camille April 24, 2012 at 10:13 pm

The biggest thing about the statistics that jumped out at me is that there are more kids at risk for hunger than the total number of kids who live below the official poverty line. This is something not everyone realizes. Anyone can suffer from hunger, and the official poverty line doesn’t mean much when your kid is going to have to miss a meal.

Alana D April 25, 2012 at 9:30 am

Great new site! I’m soo looking forward to dropping my goodies off Friday.

Marisa Voorhees, The Food-Sensitive Foodie April 26, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Love, love, love this Maris! And would love to get involved in the next one. Certainly spreading the word about this one. Wishing you a most successful event!

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef April 27, 2012 at 8:50 am

Lovely to see you Maris and I’m off to see your new site. What a great event you’ve put your name to. I hope you earn a gazillion dollars for the hungry kids!

Kelly April 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

Looking forward to seeing the recap of how things went! There were definitely some delicious looking goodies dropped off when I was there Friday night.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 2, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hope you had great success with the sale, Maris! It’s such a wonderful sale for a great cause. Thanks for sharing!

Blond Duck May 3, 2012 at 11:20 am

Kudos to launching your new site! I’d been wondering where you went. As a fellow freelancer, any tips on where to find work? :)

Erin @ The Speckled Palate May 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Every year, I see that bake sale, and it makes me wish I lived in Chicago so I could participate in it and volunteer to help out.

Hooray for launching the new website and moving! And trying to stay on top of everything! I know where you’re coming from, and it’s not an easy thing to balance.

Roz@weightingfor50 May 5, 2012 at 12:35 pm

MARIS!!!! Welcome back. So glad life is going well. I’m scooting over to your new website to check it out. Continued good wishes your way from me to you!!!!

Rebecca May 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I wish I would have found your blog a few weeks earlier! This would have been fun to participate in – or attend!! P.S. Love your other site too! Just what I need as a newbie in the city!

Emily May 20, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hey Maris! Just wanted to say I love your blog and make at least one of your recipes each week (tonight = caprese salad with white beans as a side, lemon chess pie as a dessert). Your blog also got me through hosting my first Thanksgiving dinner this year – both my parents and my in-laws loved the chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Congrats on the new website but I hope you keep posting here too – your recipes are great!

Delishhh June 15, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Great idea – they do these here in Seattle but i still to this day have not been able to make it.