The sun is starting to make an appearance again, which always brings with it the urge for an entire new wardrobe of summer-friendly clothes. The problem is, buying an entire new wardrobe of clothes isn’t cheap!
Plus if you’re sustainability-conscious, you probably already know that a lot of the cheaper clothes you can buy on the high street aren’t exactly environmentally friendly.
Luckily, there are plenty of eco-friendly ways in which you can refresh your wardrobe that will help you save some money, too!
Clothing swap events are gaining popularity, and with good reason. The basic idea is that you bring all of the clothes you own that are still in good condition, you just don’t wear them anymore. Clothing swaps are great events to join in with after you have just ‘Marie Kondo’d’ your bedroom and you don’t know what to do with the huge pile of clothes that no longer serve you!
You bring your clothes along, as do the other guests, and you all take anything you like. You get a whole new wardrobe of clothes while getting rid of your old belongings, and best of all, you get the opportunity to make a connection with like-minded people in your community who are also interested in doing their bit to be sustainable.
Buying good quality clothing isn’t a problem, sustainability wise, as they will likely have been made in a way that treats workers fairly, and they will be of high enough quality that you will be able to keep wearing them for years.
The problem is, high-quality clothing can be pricey if you don’t shop smart. It’s well worth looking out for sales events, and clipping coupons is a surprisingly effective way to find some discounts for high-end department stores. For example, Valpak offers a range of Kohls coupons, which give you a huge range of money-off deals.
Be thrifty like a pro
Thrift stores are a great place to find some beautiful and high-quality items of clothing without spending a fortune. Be aware though – you can also end up coming home with loads of poor-quality clothing that you never actually end up wearing if you’re not careful!
If you want to make sure you make the most out of thrift stores, there are a few points you should consider:
- Pick your store wisely. If you choose a thrift store in an affluent area, the chances are that the clothing will have been donated by affluent people, which means high-quality clothing for you! It can also be a good idea to find out which days thrift stores do their restocking, as it’s on these days that you’re more likely to find the best clothing.
- Hunt for brand names and good material. Natural materials such as leather, cotton and linen will always age well, so if you can find garments made from these materials they are likely to be in good condition and to last you a long time. Synthetic materials won’t last as long, so be mindful of this when you’re picking out items made from polyester or nylon. Similarly, quality brand-named clothing should also last a long time.
- 5 Inexpensive and Effective Ways for a Small Business in 2021 - June 10, 2021
- What every successful food business should have - June 8, 2021
- How to Save Money on Everyday Household Requirements - May 20, 2021